Almost Home Kids Volunteer Opportunities
“Volunteering at Almost Home Kids has been such a positive experience for me. In fact, I sometimes wonder who has more fun – me or the kids?” – an Almost Home Kids volunteer.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Almost Home Kids. Individual volunteers, volunteer groups and the community make a huge difference at Almost Home Kids.
Our volunteers are an integral part of the daily functions, providing a better quality of life for the children and families we serve. Opportunities include:
- Recreational volunteers – These volunteers engage the children with play activities such as reading, puzzles, sensory toys or holding a baby. Opportunities are available seven days a week.
- Administrative volunteers – They support staff with a variety of office duties. These services are on an as-needed basis.
- Facility volunteers – These volunteers help with outside yard work or decorating for the holidays.
- Other opportunities – Almost Home Kids also needs volunteers to assist with coordinating fundraising events, donation drives and corporate volunteer days.
To be a recreational volunteer, Almost Homes Kids require a commitment of a minimum of four volunteer hours every month for the four-month time period following orientation. Shifts are available seven days a week and volunteers can choose their own one- to two-hour shifts based on availability.
If you are interested in becoming a recreational volunteer with the children here are the guidelines:
- Volunteers need to complete an online application and then they will be invited to register and attend the next available monthly orientation
- Volunteers need to be able to commit to a minimum of four hours per month in the four-month time period following orientation
- You need to submit a printed COLOR copy of a photo ID
- You must be at least 16 years of age to be a recreational volunteer
- You must be up-to-date with all vaccinations and submit documentation of a TB test administered within the last 12 months.
- Documentation of a seasonal flu shot given during flu season – October-April – must be submitted
- Those 18 years old and older will complete a background check form at orientation
Almost Home Kids is not an appropriate site for court-mandated service hours.
If you are volunteering to meet a class requirement or are a Service Learning Student, the process is the same and you must attend an orientation. Contracts or other paperwork requiring a signature cannot be signed prior to the volunteer attending an orientation.
What To Do Next
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to complete the online New Volunteer Application Form.
Once your application is approved and you have confirmed your documentation is up to date for your TB and flu, you will be invited by email, to register for the next available volunteer orientation. Volunteers are invited in order of submission of their application and it can take several weeks to get through this process.
Orientation typically is held once a month and lasts approximately 1 1/2 hours.
Thank you for partnering with Almost Home Kids to support the children and families we serve! Volunteers are so essential to our Mission! If you have questions, please email Cheryl Murin at Cheryl.A.Murin@osfhealthcare.org.
After completing the volunteer orientation, you will receive an email indicating you are “active.” You will then click the link below to begin signing up for shifts.