OSF East Central Illinois EMS offers several community education opportunities throughout the year. Medical training topics may include CPR courses, first aid classes and disaster preparedness.
Through our American Heart Association Training Center, OSF East Central Illinois is proud to bring life-saving CPR and AED courses to the general public. The Heartsaver® CPR AED course trains participants to give CPR, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
Courses may also include the Heartsaver® First Aid Training. The Heartsaver First Aid course trains participants first aid basics for the most common first aid emergencies, including how to recognize them, how to call for help, and how to perform lifesaving skills. Reflects science and education from the American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC).
What will I learn?
CPR / AED
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child*
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child*
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant*
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant*
*Child and infant modules are optional.
- First aid basics
- Medical emergencies
- Injury emergencies
- Environmental emergencies
- Preventing illness and injury
How can I complete these courses?
Individuals, contact our staff to be connected with an instructor or class near you.
Groups and Organizations needing to schedule a class can Contact Us today.
Be sure to visit our event calendar for more information about class dates.
Hands-Only CPR and Disaster Preparedness
OSF East Central Illinois EMS is dedicated to reducing the number of deaths related to Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) events in the communities we serve.
Hands-Only CPR is a tool that can be taught to anyone within our community. We have introduced this program throughout community schools, performed live demonstrations at area events and locations and we offer 1 on 1 assistance in our office anytime during normal business hours.
Saving a life is easy and knowing how only involves 2 steps.