PreHospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
PreHospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) is the world’s premier prehospital trauma education developed in cooperation with the American College of Surgeons to promote critical thinking in addressing multi-system trauma and provide the latest evidence-based treatment practices.
The PHTLS Provider course is designed to be an intensive 16-20 hour experience. It is available to all levels of prehospital care providers, and programs are typically attended by Emergency First Responders (Fire, Police, Search & Rescue, etc.), EMTs, Paramedics, Nurses (including Industrial based Occupational Health Nurses), Physicians, and Physician Assistants.
The course is scenario-based, with lectures and interactive skills station components meant to enhance the prehospital care providers’ knowledge, and further develop the critical thinking skills required to treat the trauma patient in the field effectively.
- Complete Education Course Application with all specific course requirements as indicated on the course application.
- Appropriate course fee paid prior to start date of class.
OSF Northern Region EMS Card Courses are held at the OSF Northern Region EMS Office, 5510 E. State St., Rockford. The entrance is located on the north side of the Center for Health building.
- All Provider courses begin at 8:00 am and end at 5:00 pm.
- All Recertification courses begin at 9:00 am and end at 12 noon.
- Students MUST pre-register with Holly Osborne, EMS Assistant, at (815) 395-5254.
- A minimum of 3 students must be registered for the course.
PHTLS Provider and Recertification Courses are scheduled for the following dates in 2020:
Provider Course Schedule
|January 28||PHTLS Provider||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
Recertification Course Schedule
|March 17||PHTLS Recertification||9 a.m-12 p.m.|
|May 20||PHTLS Recertification||9 a.m-12 p.m.|
|July 30||PHTLS Recertification||9 a.m. - 12 p.m.|
|August 18||PHTLS Recertification||9 a.m-12 p.m.|
|December 8||PHTLS Recertification||9 a.m-12 p.m.|