Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Usually, the goal of reconstructive plastic surgery is to improve body function.
However, reconstructive plastic surgery may also be performed to create a more normal appearance and improve self-esteem (this may also be called cosmetic surgery).
Abnormal structures of the body may result from the following:
congenital (present at birth) anomalies
- developmental abnormalities
Types of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Breast reconstruction after cancer or prior surgeries
- Cleft lip/palate repairs
- Congenital defects
- Head and neck reconstruction
- Removal and reconstruction of skin cancers
- Repair of post operative defects
- Repair of post traumatic defects