Live Well Streator
Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet!
Saturday, April 27 | 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Drive-thru disposal at Streator City Park | 200 block of N. Park St.
Did you know that 53% of opiates are given by, bought from or taken from a friend or relative? Help us protect our communities by cleaning out your medicine cabinet!
Drop off your unwanted or expired prescription and over-the-counter drugs. Labels on the packages need to either be removed or personal information should be blacked out. Medications that are flushed down the toilet or thrown away can contaminate our water supplies and environment.
Proper disposal of unused drugs saves lives and protects the environment.
Live Drug Free
If you or someone you know are struggling with drug abuse or addition, help is available. Please review our Live Drug Free Resource Guide (PDF - 575.8 KB) that details support services available throughout the Illinois Valley.
Volunteers and community leaders from Streator and surrounding areas created the Live Well Streator initiative in March 2018 with collaboration from OSF HealthCare. Together, they are partnering to create a sustainable movement that will support the improvement of the health, wellness and strength of the community.
The Live Well Streator steering committee is comprised of nine individuals from diverse backgrounds and Ellen Vogel, with OSF HealthCare, who serves as the program facilitator.
Steering Committe Members:
- Janette Strabala (chair), Heritage Operations Group
- Jack Dzuris (vice-chair), Streator Area Chamber of Commerce
- Rene Barr, Vactor Manufacturing
- Matthew Dean, US Foods
- Leslie Dougherty, LaSalle County Health Department
- Susan Glassman, University of Illinois Extension
- Mayor Jimmie Lansford, City of Streator
- Amy Jo Mascal, Streator Township High School
- Julie Ramza, Streator Drugs
Partnering to create a sustainable movement that will support the improvement of the health, wellness and strength of the community.
To inspire a strong, coordinated and engaged community that empowers residents to live a healthier lifestyle by
- Creating partnerships for healthy living
- Building awareness & providing resources
- Coordinating healthy choice initiatives
Key Priorities & Action Teams
The Live Well Streator steering committee is focusing on building awareness about community resources and creating new partnerships that support healthy living. While healthy living could mean a number of things, the steering team worked to determine which areas of focus could enact the greatest amount of positive change for the community.
After reviewing population data, they narrowed their priorities and invited additional community partners to participate in three action teams: Healthy Eating - lead by Matthew Dean of US Foods, Live Drug Free - led by Streator Fire Department Chief Gary Bird, and Activity.
While the groups are new and finding their footing, they’ve already got a few end goals in sight – albeit 5-10 years down the road:
- An increased percentage of residents who eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day
- 45 percent of Streator residents at a healthy weight by the year 2025
- A reduction in opioid usage and overdose.
Want to learn more? Contact Ellen Vogel at Ellen.M.Vogel@osfhealthcare.org or by calling (815) 673-4528.