OSF Saint Francis Medical Center has been recognized as a Gold level Illinois Healthy Worksite, the highest level achievable. OSF is just one of 44 organizations from around the State to have qualified for the award.
The Illinois Healthy Worksite designation was created in 2014 to engage workplaces in healthy practices that benefit the employer, employees and communities. The program is administered nationally by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and locally by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Criteria to achieve the Gold level recognition includes:
- Actively promote and support healthy nutrition at work.
- Provide and encourage opportunities for physical activity at work.
- Develop a 12-month health and wellness calendar and an ongoing communication plan to promote employee health and well-being throughout the year.
- Demonstrate a commitment to employee health and well-being by making it part of the organization's mission statement, goals and operations.
- Develop lifestyle and disease management strategies and measure their success annually.
“The Employee Health and Wellness staff at OSF Saint Francis is very proud to have received this recognition,” said Tim Vega, MD, Medical Director, OSF Business and Community Health, OSF Saint Francis Medical Center. “The work we have done to offer employee wellness and education programs and services is reflected in the overall improved health of our nearly 6,000 employees – and that is the true blessing and benefit for everyone.”
The Illinois Healthy Worksite designation is in place for three years before an organization has to reapply.