Set sail with these colorful “boats” that are nutritious and fun for the whole family!
Vegetarian, gluten free
- 2 medium cucumbers, washed
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can corn, no salt added, drained and rinsed (can also use 1 ½ cups fresh corn, or 1 ½ cups frozen corn - thawed)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, washed and diced
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup Italian salad dressing
- 4-8 (4-6 inch) wooden skewers - for the masts
- 4-8 paper triangles and markers - for the masts
- For the boats: cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the seeds with a small spoon. If desired, chop up the scooped-out insides and add to the filling mixture, otherwise discard insides or reserve for another use. Set cucumbers aside.
- For the filling: mix together the beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and Italian dressing in a large mixing bowl. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour to marinate flavors together.
- For the masts: decorate the paper triangles as desired. Secure the paper triangles to the wooden skewers with tape.
- For assembly: fill the cucumber boats with the filling. Place the mast at the end of each cucumber. Cut the boat in half to make 8 smaller servings.
- Serve any extra filling with tortilla chips, pita bread, or by itself. Set sail and enjoy this yummy dish, mateys!
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Carbohydrate: 24g
Dietary Fiber: 8g