Apple Upside Down French Toast
A sweet addition to your Easter brunch.
- 4 sweet apples, such as Red or Golden Delicious
- ½ Tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Smart Balance® Light Buttery Spread
- ¼ cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
- Cooking Spray
- ½ cup egg substitute
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (use gluten free bread for GF version)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Core apple and thinly slice. Place slices in large bowl with ½ Tablespoon cinnamon and toss to coat.
- Melt margarine in large skillet on medium heat. Add apples and brown sugar. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour into sprayed, 9 inch round baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg substitute, skim milk, vanilla and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Completely submerge bread slices in mixture and place on top of apples in baking dish. Cover apples completely. Smash bread down to fit.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Place serving plate on top of pan and flip. Carefully remove the pan and spoon any additional liquid on top.
Total Fat: 1.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 120 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 27 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 4 g