Couscous Fruit Parfait
This spring recipe is both sweet and tart, with a fresh new use for couscous. For a chewier texture, or to make the parfait gluten-free, try substituting the couscous for millet or buckwheat.
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous (choose millet or buckwheat for GF version)
- 3/4 cup non-fat Greek plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced peaches or nectarines
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- In a medium saucepan, warm milk on medium to high heat, stirring constantly. Just before boiling, stir in couscous, cover, and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for another 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add couscous and mix well.
- Using 4 clear glasses, layer ¼ cup fruit first, followed by ¼ cup couscous mixture, repeat once, ending with fruit on top.
- Top with 1 Tablespoon slivered almonds. Serve chilled.
Per 1 cup serving
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 40 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 28 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 9.5 g