Sunny Side Up Stuffed Tomatoes
Try serving a nutritious egg breakfast in an edible bowl, a tomato!
- 4 large tomatoes
- ½ cup lean turkey breakfast sausage, cooked
- ¼ cup green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup reduced-fat, low-sodium Swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs (choose gluten free breadcrumbs for GF version)
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the top off of tomatoes. Use a spoon to gently scoop out pulp and seeds, careful not to break through the skin of the tomato. Place tomatoes in a square baking dish.
- In each tomato, add 2 Tablespoons of sausage and 1 Tablespoon of each of the following: green pepper, onion and shredded cheese.
- Crack one egg into each tomato. Sprinkle Panko bread crumbs evenly on top of each tomato.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until egg whites are cooked and yolk is still runny. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 420 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 10 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 17 g