Buckwheat and Butternut Stew
Cozy up to this hearty stew full of fresh flavors as the temperatures start to drop!
Serves: 6 (serving= 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 – 14.5 ounce cans no salt Hunt's® no salt added basil, garlic and oregano diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coarsely chopped kale leaves, deboned
- 6 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- On medium heat, sauté onion in oil for 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Stir in buckwheat, stock, squash, tomatoes, herbs and salt. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until squash and buckwheat are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in kale and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Top with 1 Tablespoon of Parmesan per serving.