Cinco de Mayo Cornbread Casserole
Celebrating this Mexican holiday with a healthy dish!
Serves: 8 (Serving = 1/8 of dish)
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 1-15 ounce can no salt added corn, drained
- 1-15 ounce can no salt added chili beans in chili sauce (use gluten free for GF version)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-8.5 ounce box corn muffin mix, prepared (using 1/3 cup skim milk and large egg) - use gluten free for GF version
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, sauté pepper, onion and ground turkey for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain liquid carefully from pan.
- Add tomatoes, corn, beans with chili sauce and seasonings. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Pour into 9 x 13” baking dish. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, drop corn muffin mix on top in 8 evenly divided spots.
- Bake for 15 minutes.