Sweet and Spicy Chicken Strips
These baked chicken strips are high in fiber and fully of heart healthy fats. When you pair these crispy strips with a sweet sauce with a kick you definitely won’t miss the deep fryer!
Serves: 4 (Serving= 4 strips plus 2 Tablespoons of sauce)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups toasted wheat squares cereal (like Chex®)
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 – 4 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, raw
- ½ cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup reduced sugar strawberry fruit spread
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, place cereal, pecans, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Process until consistency of bread crumbs.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips, each breast should yield ~4 strips.
- Pour wheat crumb mixture onto a plate. On a separate plate pour egg substitute. Dip each chicken strip in egg substitute and then into breading mixture. Place each strip on baking sheet. Bake chicken strips for 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- For dipping sauce, mix all ingredients together with a fork in small bowl.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
- Reduce serving size by half.
- Bariatric nutrition information (2 strips with 1 tablespoon sauce, makes 8 servings): Calories 217, Total Fat 8.5g, Sat Fat 1g, Sodium 270mg, Total Carbohydrate 15.5g, Fiber 3g, Protein 15.5g