Vegetable Ribbon Pasta with Creamy Avocado Pesto
A nutrient packed pasta dish—no noodles needed!
Serves: 5 (Serving= 1 cup plus pasta sauce)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pitted avocado
- ¼ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 10 large basil leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave off long curls from each vegetable to create “ribbons”. Place ribbons in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let drain over the sink for about 20 minutes to remove moisture. Rinse off salt, pat ribbons dry using paper towels, and transfer to a large bowl.
- To make the sauce, place garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add in avocado, yogurt, basil, red pepper, Parmesan, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Cook walnuts and tomatoes in a medium skillet over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Add avocado sauce to the pan, continuously stirring to prevent sauce from sticking.
- When the sauce is heated thoroughly, add to vegetables and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve as is or add lean protein such as grilled chicken, shrimp or fish. Serve immediately.