Farro Salad with Rosemary, Mushrooms and Blue Cheese
This salad combines a non-traditional whole grain, farro, with the earthy flavors of rosemary and mushrooms.
Serves: 6 (Serving= 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 5 cups raw mushrooms (any kind)
- 3 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup arugula
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine farro with 3 cups water. Bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Drain remaining liquid.
- In a medium skillet on medium heat, sauté garlic and rosemary in olive oil for 2 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Combine cooked farro and mushroom mixture with rest of ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Serve hot or cold.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
Decrease serving size to 1/4 cup
Updated bariatric nutrition information: Calories 66, Total Fat 2g, Sat Fat 0g, Sodium 56mg, Total Carbohydrate 10g, Fiber 1.5g, Protein 2.5g