Sorghum Salad with Kale and Butternut Squash
Start the year off right by experimenting with unfamiliar whole grains. This salad would also taste great with wheat berries, quinoa or buckwheat!
Serves: 8 (Serving= 1/2 cup)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sorghum, rinsed
- 2 ½ cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring water to boil, add sorghum, reduce heat and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Add kale during last 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss butternut squash in olive oil, lay evenly across baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Combine squash, sorghum, kale and rest of ingredients together in a medium bowl. Stir gently. Serve warm.