BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Boats
Add a unique twist to your barbecue chicken with these sweet potato boats!
Serves: 8 (Serving = 1 sweet potato boat)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces ground chicken breast
- 1 red onion, chopped (reserve ½ cup for topping)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup barbecue sauce (reserve ¼ cup for topping) (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Line sweet potatoes on baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground chicken and chopped onions and cook until chicken is no longer pink and onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Use a spatula to break chicken into small ground pieces while cooking. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and ¼ cup of barbecue sauce. Mix thoroughly and reduce heat to low.
- Once cool enough to touch, cut potatoes in half length-wise and scoop out most of the flesh into a medium bowl. Remove enough of the flesh to create a “well” in each potato half. Mash sweet potato with fork or masher.
- Add ground chicken mixture and mix to combine.
- Evenly fill each of the sweet potato halves with the chicken/potato mixture.
- Top each half with the remaining onions and barbecue sauce, and garnish with the avocado and cilantro.