Marinara ‘N Mozz Meatballs
These are a fun spin on traditional meatballs that will be a hit at your next summer get together.
Serves: 29 per 1 toothpick
- 1 – 15 ounce can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 19 ounces extra lean ground turkey breast
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (use gluten free for GF version)
- 1 – 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 – 8 ounce cans no salt added tomato sauce
- ¼ Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Splenda® brown sugar blend
- 14 ounces fresh part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 28 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash beans in a large mixing bowl. Add turkey breast, egg whites, bread crumbs, mushrooms, Parmesan, herbs and spices. Combine well.
- Roll into one inch balls, place on sprayed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, sauté onions in olive oil for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place meatball, mozzarella cube and basil leaf on a toothpick. Drizzle with marinara sauce.