These grilled eggplant stacks are best enjoyed at the height of tomato season. The flavors of the eggplant, sweet tomato and basil complement each other and are enhanced with the olive oil and tangy balsamic vinegar. Shop your local farmer’s market this summer to find the freshest ingredients for this dish!
Serves: 8 (Serving = 1 eggplant napoleon stack)
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 8 ounce block of mozzarella
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- With a knife, cut eggplant, tomato, and mozzarella into 1/4 inch slices. Set aside.
- Brush both sides of the sliced eggplant with olive oil.
- Grill eggplant slices over medium heat until tender.
- Layer 1 slice of eggplant followed by tomato and mozzarella. Top with one basil leaf.
- Drizzle each stack with 1.5 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy immediately!