Chicken and Artichokes
Served over brown or white rice, this chicken and artichoke dish offers a change of pace for any day of the week. You can reduce the sodium by choosing low sodium broth,
Serves: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
4 boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
6 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped OR 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup frozen green peas
1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained OR use a 9 oz package frozen artichoke hearts
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups hot cooked rice
1. Trim fat from chicken breast halves. Cook chicken in skillet over medium heat, until chicken is browned on both sides.
2. Reserve 1/2 cup broth. Stir remaining broth, mushrooms, onion, oregano and pepper into skillet with chicken. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in frozen peas and artichoke hearts. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer an additional 8 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
4. Remove chicken but keep warm. Mix reserved broth , cornstarch and cheese. Stir this into the mixture in the skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute.
5. To serve: Place 1/2 cup rice on each plate, top with chicken breast. Ladle the thickened vegetable mixture over the chicken and rice.