Make your own fruit trifle with your favorite fruits or from fresh fruits of the season. This is a great low-fat dessert to compliment any summer picnic. Pineapple and mandarin oranges are also good sources of Vitamin C. Look for canned fruits that are packed in light syrup or their natural juices to keep calories low.
1 10-inch angel food cake
1 (15.25oz can) crushed pineapple, drained
1 (11oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
1 package vanilla instant pudding
1 container fat free whipped topping
1/4 cup chopped nuts
Maraschino cherries (optional)
- Cut cake into halves. Freeze one half for future use.
- Cut other half into small cubes, set aside.
- Mix pineapple and oranges together in a small bowl.
- Prepare pudding as directed on the package, using skim milk.
- Layer half of the cake, fruit mixture and pudding in a 2-quart serving bowl; repeat.
- Top with whipped topping. Sprinkle with nuts. Garnish with cherries if desired.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.