Salmon is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation and protect you from heart disease. The spicy and citrus flavors tone down the hearty salmon taste. This recipe is perfect for those who want the health benefits of salmon, but don’t prefer the “salmon taste”.
Serves: 1 filet w/1/2 cup rice
1 cup instant brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil
2 small salmon fillets (8 ounces total)
1 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
Juice from one large orange
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season salmon with Cajun seasoning (tip...use less than 1 tsp of seasoning if you prefer to lessen the “spicy” flavor).
- Place seasoned salmon in skillet, and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low, and pour orange juice around the salmon. Continue cooking 5 minutes, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork, turning once.
- Remove fish from skillet and set aside. Add rice to skillet and stir to combine with the remaining juice.
- Serve salmon over rice. Serving suggestion: Pair this dish with steamed or sautéed sugar snap peas.