Lemon Coconut Doughnuts
Just in time for National Doughnut Day, healthy doughnuts DO Exist. Packed with whole grains and flaxseeds, you’ll wonder how this spin on a breakfast favorite can taste so good!
Serves: 11 (Serving= 2 mini doughnuts)
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup margarine baking sticks, room temp
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Shredded coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a donut pan or mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseeds and water and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream together margarine and sugar. Add in flax mixture, milk, and lemon extract.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in shredded coconut.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling half way full. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Cool before removing from pans.
- While baking, whisk lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Drizzle glaze over donuts and top with shredded coconut.