Strawberry Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
Celebrating the season of strawberries these better for you muffins have less calories and fat than your typical store bought muffins!
Serves: 8 (Serving= 1 muffin)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour (use gluten free flour blend for GF version)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (use gluten free flour blend for GF version)
- 3 Tablespoons Truvia® Baking Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 Tablespoons strawberry non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons non-fat milk
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon Smart Balance®, melted
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- 3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon sugar free strawberry preserves
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray or muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, Truvia® Baking Blend, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, almond extract, and Smart Balance®. Slowly mix wet ingredients into dry- just until fully combined. Fold in strawberries. Do NOT over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Toothpick should come out clean.
- To prepare frosting, mix all ingredients together in a shallow bowl. Stir until no clumps of sugar or cream cheese remain. Frost muffins with a knife once cooled.