Pumpkin Pie Porridge
Tastes like the filling of a pumpkin pie, but can be eaten as either a dessert or a breakfast.
Serves: 10 (Serving= 1/2 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 3 ½ cups skim milk
- 2/3 cup cornmeal (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 1 Tablespoon trans-fat free margarine
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 – 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 Tablespoons Splenda® brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and preheat on high for 10-15 minutes.
- In large saucepan or stockpot, bring milk, cornmeal, margarine and salt to boil, stirring constantly to prevent scalding for 2-3 minutes. Cover and simmer until thickened.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add cooked cornmeal mixture a little at a time to pumpkin mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour into slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours, then on low for 1 hour. May also consider cooking on low for 6 hours.
- Serve warm topped with low fat frozen yogurt or with Greek yogurt and pecans for a breakfast dish.