Black Bean and Butternut Stew with Quinoa
If you want to start the New Year off right, this meal is the way to go! This flavorful stew is low in calories and full of protein and fiber, sure to keep on your way to your weight loss goal!!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cups onion, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 – 15 ounce cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 ¾ cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup raisins
- Chopped pistachios for garnish
- In a deep saucepan on medium heat, sauté bell pepper, onion and butternut squash in olive oil until just softened.
- Add spices, beans, tomatoes and water and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 15 min or until water is absorbed. Stir in spices and raisins.
- In the bottom of a serving bowl place ½ cup of quinoa. Serve 1 cup of stew over it and chopped pistachios for garnish.
Per 1 cup stew and ½ cup quinoa
Total Fat: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Sodium: 354 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 72 g
Dietary Fiber: 14g