Black Bean Avocado Burgers
Swap out your traditional beef burger with this tasty vegetarian alternative!
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans blacks beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs (use gluten free bread crumbs for GF version)
- Cooking spray
- 2 avocados, sliced thin
- 8 whole wheat sandwich thins (use gluten free bun for GF version)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 6 Tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 large chipotle peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, add red pepper, scallions, garlic, 1 can of black beans, cilantro, eggs, cayenne pepper, cumin, and bread crumbs. Pulse to combine ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl; add the remaining can of black beans and mix until well combined.
- Form 8 patties, place on sprayed baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes or until firm.
- In a small bowl, stir together both ingredients for chipotle mayonnaise.
- Place a patty on the sandwich thin and top with avocado, lettuce, tomato, and chipotle mayonnaise.
Per serving (1 burger with all toppings)
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 591 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 49 g
Dietary Fiber: 14 g
Protein: 15 g