Chipotle Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
A gluten-free dish that will satisfy your spicy side!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 - 15 ounce can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 - 8 ounce can no salt added tomato sauce
- ¾ cup queso fresco cheese, diced (make sure gluten free for GF version)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, rinsed, deseeded, and minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring water to a boil in the saucepan. Add quinoa and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, cherry tomatoes, green onions, garlic, cilantro, tomato sauce, cheese, chipotle peppers, cumin, chili powder, pepper, and salt and toss until well mixed.
- Cut the tops off of red peppers and set tops aside. Scoop out the seeds and add ¾ cup quinoa mixture to each pepper. Place tops back on red peppers.
- Place peppers standing up in a baking dish with bottom of dish covered about ½” in water. Cook for 50-55 minutes until pepper has browned around the top and has softened.
- Serve topped with diced avocado.
Per 1 pepper topped with avocado
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 463 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 46 g
Dietary Fiber: 13 g
Protein: 12 g