Easy Pantry Spaghetti
Want a kid friendly meal using the cans in your pantry? Try this spaghetti sauce from scratch!
- 2 – 14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 – 15 ounce can tomato sauce (choose no salt added if possible) (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 pounds 80% lean/20% fat ground beef (see tip in #2 to create a 95% lean out of an 80% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces uncooked pasta (choose whole grain if possible) (choose gluten free pasta for GF version)
- Combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano, basil and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, turn down to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add onion and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Place onion and ground beef mixture in colander, rinse under warm water, drain well and blot with paper towel. Add back into skillet and pour sauce over top.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Serve meat and sauce over 1 cup cooked pasta.
Analyzed using the regular tomato sauce and whole grain pasta
Total Fat: 5.5 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Sodium: 548 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 55 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.5 g
Sugars: 11 g
Protein: 43 g