Festive Bulgur Casserole
An unknown whole grain, bulgur, is featured in this colorful side dish. Pair it with a lean protein like chicken or fish and you have a complete meal!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups raw spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (0.75 ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups bulgur cooked (use directions on package)
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a large skillet with canola oil and sauté garlic, onion, spinach, red peppers, tomatoes and corn on medium heat, covered for 5 minutes. Add basil and seasonings, stir and remove from heat.
- Add bulgur to vegetable mixture, stir well and pour evenly into 8 x 10” baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Per 1 /6th of pan
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 433 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 35 g
Dietary Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 11 g