Savory Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Try this nutritious variation of a family favorite meal!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup water
- 1- 15.5 oz can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- Cooking spray
- 8 fajita size (6”) low carb whole wheat tortillas (choose gluten free tortillas for GF version)
- 1 ½ cups part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions and garlic for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add in sweet potatoes and spices, cooking for another few minutes.
- Add water to skillet and let mix simmer on low for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add black beans and spinach and stir until spinach becomes wilted.
- Transfer mixture to a medium sized bowl and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray then place one tortilla on low-medium heat. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on half of the tortilla, top with ½ cup potato mixture, and add 2 more tablespoons of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half and cook until the cheese melts and it is golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Cut tortillas into thirds using a knife or pizza cutter. Serve with a dollop of nonfat plain Greek yogurt if desired.
Per 1 quesadilla
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Sodium: 488 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 16 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 12 g