Truly a meal in one, this healthy entree is sure to keep you feeling “stuffed.”
- 2 small to medium acorn squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra
- 1 teaspoon pepper, plus extra
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ pound turkey sausage
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Using a sharp knife, cut off the very top and bottom of each squash to create a flat base on each side (be careful to not cut through the center cavity). Slice the squash in half, and scrape out seeds to create individual bowls for the stuffing.
- Drizzle each squash half with 0.5 tablespoon olive oil and roast cut side up for 40-50 minutes, or until tender enough that a fork can pierce easily.
- While squash is roasting, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large fry pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, salt, pepper and rosemary. Cook until onions begin to soften.
- Add garlic and sausage and cook until sausage is browned on all sides. Add apple until slightly softened. Mix in breadcrumbs and half of the parmesan cheese just until incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Once squash has finished roasting, remove from oven and fill each with prepared stuffing mixture. Return to oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle parmesan cheese for last 5 minutes.
Total Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Sodium: 471 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 51 g
Dietary Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 20 g