Sorghum Salad with Kale and Butternut Squash
Start the year off right by experimenting with unfamiliar whole grains. This salad would also taste great with wheat berries, quinoa or buckwheat!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sorghum, rinsed
- 2 ½ cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring water to boil, add sorghum, reduce heat and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until tender. Add kale during last 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss butternut squash in olive oil, lay evenly across baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Combine squash, sorghum, kale and rest of ingredients together in a medium bowl. Stir gently. Serve warm.
Per ½ cup serving
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 76 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 26 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 3 g