Hearty Harvest Stuffing
This is a healthy spin on your average stuffing recipe, great for the holidays! Using any leftover meat, vegetables or rolls you can whip up a tasty side dish for any family get-together.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup egg substitute
- ½ cup low sodium, fat-free cream of mushroom soup (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 5 cups whole grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (choose gluten free for GF version)
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, green pepper, onion, thyme, and garlic, cooking until tender.
- Stir in chicken and black pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Combine milk, mustard, red pepper, egg substitute, and soup in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk or fork. Stir in vegetable/chicken mixture and bread; toss to coat.
- Spoon into an 8” x 8” baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese then bake for 30-40 more minutes, until golden on top and liquid is absorbed.
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Carbohydrate: 17g
Dietary Fiber: 3g