Orange Sweet Potato Couscous
This couscous salad combines sweet with salty and includes an array of bright colors. Look for whole wheat couscous for a good source of fiber and squeeze your own oranges for a fresh citrus flavor. This recipe is a crowd-pleaser and pairs well with fish and other Middle Eastern-style entrees.
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (equivalent to juice from 2 oranges)
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in medium saucepan. Add cubed sweet potato and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook covered for 6 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, bring water, salt, and 1 teaspoon olive oil to a boil. Add couscous, stir quickly, and immediately remove from heat. Let stand for 4-5 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Add orange juice, green onion, dried cranberries, sweet potatoes, and ½ teaspoon pepper to couscous. Mix well and serve while warm.
Per 1/2 cup serving
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 31g
Dietary Fiber: 3g