Rhubarb and Lentil Curry
For more than just dessert! Rhubarb finds a home in the main course in this savory dish.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock (check label to assure gluten free for GF version)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 stalks of rhubarb, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, make a curry by combining olive oil, fennel seeds, cumin, turmeric, and coriander. Add minced garlic and cook over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add the vegetable stock, spinach, rhubarb, bell pepper, sweet potato, ginger, pepper, salt, and bay leaf. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove bay leaf.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
Per 1 cup serving
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Sodium: 346 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 34 g
Dietary Fiber: 14 g
Sugars: 6 g
Protein: 11 g