Speech Language Therapy
OSF Saint Anthony provides a full spectrum of Speech Language Pathology services.
- The OSF Saint Anthony outpatient rehabilitation services department began offering new services in speech pathology in June of 2010.. The department has acquired new technology that allows speech pathologists to evaluate voice and swallowing skills at a more advanced level.
- Videostroboscopy is a procedure that allows the therapist to view the vocal folds in pseudo-slow motion with either a rigid or flexible scope. The exams record images and video that can then be sent back to the ordering physician for further medical decisions.
- Acoustic Testing is an exam involving computer software which breaks down the voice into all acoustic parameters. This exam will likely be completed in conjunction with the standard perceptual voice evaluation and/or videostroboscopy.
- FEES (Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing) is a procedure that evaluates swallowing with the use of a flexible scope. Unlike the standard Modified Barium Swallow/Videoswallow, this exam does not involve radiation or time limitations. OSF Saint Anthony is the only health care facility in the area to offer acoustic testing and FEES.
- The services are available in the otolaryngology and dermatology offices at OSF Specialty Clinic, Guilford Square, 698 Featherstone Road, Rockford.
Other services offered by OSF Saint Anthony speech pathology
- Standard Speech, Language and Cognitive Evaluations and Treatment
- Standard Bedside Swallow Evaluations and Swallowing Treatment
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT), a speech treatment designed for patients with common changes to voice and speech seen in Parkinson's Disease
- Vital Stim, a swallowing treatment with use of intensive exercise paired with neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Laryngeal massage and repositioning
- Voice therapy
- Video fluorographic swallowing studies
Speech Therapy Treatment
Speech Therapy treatment includes swallowing skills, voice production, speech production, receptive language, expressive language, cognitive skills, reading comprehension, written production and mathematical functioning.
Whether the problems are significant and affecting daily communication and function, or whether they are subtle and affecting your ability to work, we can help by providing a full service line and excellent treatment.
For more information, call (815) 395-4545.