What is a Community Health Needs Assessment?
As part of the new requirements for not-for-profit hospitals, every facility is required to conduct a every three years and put together a plan to meet the community needs that the assessment identifies.
Every community has different health care needs, including diabetes management, obesity and weight loss management, chronic illness, substance abuse, sexual health, and more.
That's why our assessment team pulls together a broad set of health care consumers from each service area to help us identify the health needs of each individual community.
2013 Community Health Needs Assessment Report
We currently have seven major areas of focus:
|Ottawa, Illinois||Saint Elizabeth Medical Center|
- Access to Health Care
- Community Misperceptions
- Healthy Behaviors
- Mental Health
- Risky Behaviors / Substance Abuse
Work is ongoing, but to date we've accomplished:
- Hiring a new Patient Access Manager
- Promoting a free diabetic education class series
- Reviewing and promoting monthly health observances
- Working with outside consulting group to review programs and recommend changes
- Distributing educational materials at community agencies
- Planning nutritional programming in local schools
- Updating and sharing a community resource guide
- Sponsoring an anti-drug billboard
- Securing approval & funding to order dental kits for distribution through our Emergency Department