Our 10-week Summer Extern Program for nursing students was developed to provide nursing students with an educational opportunity to improve their nursing skills in the clinical setting while at the same time providing them with summer employment.
About the Program
Under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, the Nurse Extern will provide direct patient care, gain hands-on experience and enhance assessment skills. This program will also assist in the development of organizational and time management skills. While working in a collegial relationship with RNs, the Nurse Extern will gain a better understanding of professional practice.
Educational in-services are presented throughout the summer to further supplement the learning process.
Selected externs must commit to all program dates. There are no exceptions. Must be prepared for a full 36-40 hour commitment per week. Weekend rotation required. May be required to work a holiday. Must be available for a day and/or night shift position.
You may be able to receive 3 credit hours towards your nursing degree by applying for admission (for applicants currently attending another Nursing Program) as a student-at-large at St. Francis Medical Center College of Nursing. For further information, contact Jan Farquaharson (309) 624-8980 or log on to www.sfmccon.edu.
Externships are available in a variety of areas: Medical Surgical, Critical Care, Maternal-Child, and Pediatrics.
The Nursing Student must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Attain senior status the fall of 2015
- Anticipate graduation within one year from the end of the program
- Have completed at least one acute care clinical
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 (no consideration will be given to applicants with a gpa below 3.0)
- Two (2) academic references from nursing faculty (one reference must be from a clinical instructor). Reference forms will be emailed to the applicant upon receipt of the completed application
- Minimum of one (1) employer reference
- Must have current BLS
- Compliance with all deadlines listed below (no exceptions)
May 26, 2015 - July 31, 2015
Summer Externs will receive a competitive salary. Centralized and unit based orientation will be provided.
The application period is closed for 2015. The application process will open again in the Fall of 2015.
After completion of the externship, there may be an employment opportunity as a Patient Care Tech. You must have an active Illinois CNA in order to qualify for this position.