Applications must meet all of the following requirements in order to qualify for admission to the OSF Saint Francis School of Clinical Laboratory Science:
- Minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Minimum of 90 semester hours (or equivalent) to include these prerequisites:
A minimum of 16 semester hours in Biological Sciences, to include:
a. General Biology or Zoology
b. Microbiology course with lab component
c. Immunology course
d. Physiology course content (prefer entire physiology course)
e. Two courses must include lab component (includes Microbiology lab)
A minimum of 16 semester hours in Chemistry, to include:
a. General Chemistry
b. Organic Chemistry and/or Biochemistry (prefer Biochemistry)
c. Three courses must include lab component
A minimum of one college level course. (Statistics is strongly encouraged)
- The content of Chemistry, Biology and Math courses acceptable toward meeting these requirements would be those courses applicable towards a major in those fields or in medical technology. Survey or remedial courses do not fulfill these prerequisites.
- Applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree, or be eligible for one from their college or university upon satisfactory completion of the OSF Saint Francis program, having completed all general education courses, constitution and/or writing proficiency exams, and prerequisites for the major prior to admission to OSF Saint Francis School of Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
- Biology and/or chemistry courses must be updated if the most recent courses were completed 7 or more years prior to the planned admission date.
- TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) scores of 600 or higher must be submitted if English is not the application's native language, regardless of citizenship or visa status.
- A transcript evaluation, with grades and credit hours described in U.S. equivalents, must be submitted for any college credits from a non-U.S. institution that will be used to meet any of the admission requirements.
Qualified students should apply at the beginning of their junior year of college, or one year before desired entry to the clinical program. The applicant must submit the following materials prior to the deadline of December 1 for the following school year:
- A completed CLS application form (PDF - 117.9 KB) .
- $50 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including junior or community colleges. All transcripts must be sent directly from the school to the OSF Saint Francis CLS program; student-issued copies will not be accepted.
- Completed CLS reference forms (PDF - 195.6 KB) . Three separate references are required with your application) from 2 college science instructors - one in Biology and one in Chemistry. Ideally these are professors who have worked with the student in a laboratory science environment. Additional reference(s) required from the applicant's college advisor or work supervisor, if currently employed in a lab.
- The program will invite qualified applicants to schedule an interview only after the application and all transcripts have been received. Applicants are encouraged to submit these as early as possible in order to have a choice of interview dates.
All applicants who meet the specified admission requirements and have completed the application process will be considered for admission to the School of Clinical Laboratory Science. The selection committee, comprised of program officials and faculty, will review all application materials and rank the applicants on the basis of the types of courses taken (including withdrawals and repeats), grades, extracurricular activities, letters of reference, the interview and the written statement on knowledge of the profession and personal goals. Additional ranking points are awarded to veterans and those with laboratory work experience. Students will be notified of acceptance decisions by January, prior to the fall start of classes.
OSF HealthCare Saint Francis Medical Center and the School of CLS admit students, select faculty and conduct academic and extra-curricular programs in compliance with all federal and state regulations.
Submitting your Completed Application
All application documents should be sent to:
Ashley Jobst MSHA, MLS (ASCP)CM
530 NE Glen Oak Avenue
Peoria, Illinois 61637