Cardiac Stress Tests
Everyone has stress in their everyday lives. Why would you want more?
To test your heart. And save your life.
A cardiac stress test helps to determine how well your heart works. It shows the amount of stress that your heart can manage before developing either an abnormal rhythm or low blood flow (ischemia) .
The most commonly performed stress test is the exercise stress test. It usually involves walking on a treadmill or pedaling a stationary bike at increasing levels of difficulty, while your electrocardiogram, heart rate, and blood pressure are monitored.
Our Cardio-Pulmonary Services Department works closely with doctors from OSF Cardiovascular Institute who partner with us to offer cardiology services at OSF Saint Luke.
Why might your doctor order a stress test?
Your doctor may order a Stress Test to get answers to these questions:
- Is there is adequate blood flow to your heart during increasing levels of activity?
- Are your heart medications effective?
- Are you at risk for coronary heart disease?
- Do you have abnormal heart rhythms?
- How well are your heart valves functioning?
There are four types of Cardiac Stress Tests:
- Exercise Nuclear Test
- Pharmacological Nuclear Test
- Exercise Stress Echo
- Routine/Functional Exercise Stress Test
How to prepare for your test
- No eating or drinking 4 hours prior to the test.
- No caffeinated, decaffeinated or caffeine-free beverages including; coffee, tea and carbonated sodas.
- No black licorice, products containing chocolate or medications that contain caffeine for 18-24 hours prior to the test.
- If taking blood pressure medication, medication containing Theophylline, or erectile dysfunction medication, please call your physician and ask if you should hold these medications.
- Wear comfortable, 2-piece clothing and comfortable shoes the day of the test.
- For Exercise Stress tests, you must be able to walk strenuously on a treadmill
Results of your stress test
Your exam will be interpreted by a cardiologist and the results shared with your ordering provider.
Hours & Scheduling
OSF Cardiovascular Institute is present on Tuesday and Thursday mornings for Stress Tests.
To schedule call Central Scheduling at (309) 852-7550.