Home Health Billing
How is Home Health Paid For?
Home Health coverage is provided by Medicare, Medicaid and many private health insurance organizations.
Medicare covers many part-time skilled intermittent services, including:
- Skilled nursing care
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
If the patient receives one of the above, Medicare will also cover:
- Occupational therapy
- Home health aide services
- Medical social services
- Medical supplies
Medicare does not cover:
- Full-time nursing care at home
- Personal comfort items/convenience items
- Meal delivery
- General housekeeping services
- Long-term custodial care
To qualify for Medicare, a patient must:
- Be considered "homebound"
- Have a doctor authorize the need for Home Health care
- Use a Home Health agency that is certified with Medicare
- Have a skilled care need (ie. Nursing, Physical Therapy or Speech Therapy)
- Care is provided on an intermittent basis