Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery is a type of non-reversible weight-loss surgery that restricts your food intake by removing 80% of the stomach and creating the rest into a sleeve without re-routing the intestine.
The procedure is laparoscopic surgery, with small incisions made in the upper abdomen. Most of the left part of the stomach is removed. The remaining stomach is then a narrow tube called a sleeve. Food empties out of the bottom of the stomach into the small intestine the same way that it did before surgery.
The small intestine is not operated on or altered. After the surgery, less food will make you full when eating. A smaller stomach causes you to eat less but still feel full. An altered diet and smaller portion sizes are part of a lifelong change needed with this procedure.
The complete program at the OSF Weight Management Center and our team of surgeons, nurses, dietitians, exercise physiologists and psychologists will guide you through your transformation to a new healthy lifestyle and be with you every step of the way.
Are You a Candidate?
You are a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 35-39 with medical problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, or sleep apnea (stop breathing as you sleep), OR you have a BMI of 40-60 with or without medical problems. You may calculate your BMI by using the BMI calculator. The BMI is a calculation that takes into consideration both your height and weight.
- You are under the age of 70.
- You have realistic expectations from surgery.
- You understand the possible risks of surgery.
- You understand the way your life will change after surgery.
- You are willing to actively participate in making a lifestyle change.
- You are willing to visit your surgeon for long-term follow-up.
- You have tried other diets under the supervision of a doctor and failed. This is a surgery of last resort.
You are not a candidate for weight loss surgery if:
- Your BMI is less than 35, OR
- Your BMI is between 35-39 and you have no medical problems.
- Your BMI is greater than 60.
- You are over the age of 70.
Our team is trained to guide you and ensure your successful completion of the pre-surgical process. You must lose weight during the program. If you do not lose weight or if you gain weight, you will not be approved for surgery. All candidates are required to complete each of the following steps before surgery:
- Attend an informational meeting. You will receive information about our surgeons and the team will educate you on the gastric sleeve option, explain the program process and answer your questions. At this information meeting, you will fill out a form for insurance information and your diet history.
- Someone from our team will contact your insurance company to determine your available coverage. You will be notified after coverage is confirmed.
- Complete a psychological evaluation. This is required of all candidates for gastric sleeve surgery.
- Complete the medically managed weight loss program (minimum of five to six months). Each month, you will meet with a registered dietitian and an exercise specialist to learn about the changes required before and after surgery.
Find a Seminar
Please visit our event calendar for more information on healthy living seminars.
|Practice Name||Address||City||Phone||Today's Hours|
|OSF St. Joseph - Center for Healthy Lifestyles||2200 E. Washington Street||Bloomington||(309) 661-5151||
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.