The Neurology Department at OSF St. Joseph Medical Center is Joint Commission and Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) recognized as a Primary Stroke Center.
Additionally, we recognized nationally with an American Stroke Association Achievement Award. In 2016, OSF St. Joseph achieved Gold Plus status for the sixth consecutive year, which is the highest possible American Stroke Association's "Get With The Guidelines" rating.
The award specifically recognizes OSF St. Joseph for its use of evidence-based guidelines to provide the best possible care to patients. The award ensures that stroke patients receive treatment according to nationally accepted standards and recommendations.
The Neurology team at OSF St. Joseph is dedicated to educating the community about the signs and symptoms of strokes, and ensuring our patients receive the best.
- Face - facial droop, uneven smile
- Arm - arm numbness, arm weakness
- Speech - slurred speech, difficulty speaking or understanding
- Time - call 911 and get to the hospital immediately. Note the time of the onset of symptoms
Learn more about Act F.A.S.T.
Other Signs of Stroke
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion
- Sudden trouble seeing out of one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance
- Sudden and severe headache