Pediatric Diabetes School Program - In Person
Available: Mar 4
Close: Apr 2
Actual number of available places may be less than displayed due to other registrations in progress.
Pediatric Diabetes Resource Center - Children's Hospital of Illinois at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center (700 Seminar Room)
530 NE Glen Oak Ave
Peoria, IL 61637
Map & Directions
Address questions about this event to
Pediatric Diabetes Resource Center at (309) 624-2480.
The Pediatric Diabetes Resource Center is part of the Children's Hospital of Illinois and consists of a team including pediatric endocrinologists, advanced practice nurses, nurses, dieticians, and clinical social workers.
In accordance with the Illinois Care of Students with Diabetes Act, effective 2010, we provide training for staff to be delegated care aides through this Diabetes Education Program. Delegated care aides are school employees who agree to receive training in diabetes care and to assist students in implementing their diabetes care plan.
- In-person training: Available first Thursday of each month 12:30 p.m. - 4 p.m. at OSF Saint Francis Hospital in Peoria Illinois. To register for in-person training, please click the green Register Now button on this page.
- Virtual Training: Available monthly on demand through video online. To learn more about virtual training options, click here.
In-person training provides extra opportunities for staff to practice hands-on skills, such as checking a blood sugar, giving an injection, and seeing diabetes technology.
We ask that staff sign up for whichever training is more suitable for their needs.
In-person training will consist of small groups, requiring masks and social distancing.
Effective December 8, 2022, OSF HealthCare System is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (P-0807).
- 3.0 contact hours will be awarded for those who participate and attend the entire in-person event, sign the roster, complete an evaluation, and successfully return demonstrate skills.
- 2.6 contact hours will be awarded for those who attend the entire online session, and complete an evaluation
- Enduring content expires on 12/29/24
Jennifer Newton is an independent consultant for Tandem Diabetics. This relevant financial relationship has been mitigated.
No relevant financial relationships were identified for any other individuals with the ability to control content of the activity.
The cost for this training is $45.
Per the law, delegated care aides shall receive initial training with a licensed healthcare provider with expertise in diabetes. The training shall be individualized by the student's parent/guardian.
This training will cover the basics of diabetes including: monitoring blood sugars, counting carbohydrates, calculating doses, insulin delivery, hypoglycemia management, hyperglycemia and ketone management, diabetes paperwork and psychosocial emotional aspects, insulin pumps, sensors, and activity.