Eggplant Parmesan Stacks
Use simple ingredients to create a perfectly portioned spin on a traditional Italian dish!
Serves: 4-5 (Serving = 1 eggplant stack)
- Cooking spray
- 1 eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs (choose gluten free for GF version)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan (reserve 1 Tablespoon for topping)
- 2 cups lower sodium pasta sauce (use gluten free for GF version)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese slices
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place baking rack on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut top and bottom off of eggplant, then cut into 8-10 round slices about ½” thick.
- Whisk egg and water together in shallow dish.
- Mix panko bread crumbs, dried basil and 1 Tbsp Parmesan in another shallow dish.
- Dip 1 slice of eggplant into egg mixture then into bread crumb mixture, pressing down to coat the eggplant well. Flip over and press to coat the other side. Place eggplant slices on baking rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- Coat the bottom of an 8 x 8” baking dish with some of the pasta sauce. Lay 4-5 slices of cooked eggplant on bottom of dish. Layer with mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, another drizzle of pasta sauce and another eggplant slice. Drizzle the rest of the pasta sauce over the top of the eggplant stacks.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle on 1 Tbsp Parmesan and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.