Your favorite Mexican dish, casserole-style!
Serves: 8 (Serving = 1 piece)
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¾ cup green pepper, diced
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- ¾ cup canned/frozen corn kernels
- ¾ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- 14 ounces La Victoria® red enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups reduced fat Mexican shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, partially brown ground turkey. Add garlic, green pepper, onion, corn, black beans, cumin and chili powder and cook for 3-5 min or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Stir in sour cream and set aside.
- Pour ¼ can of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9” x 13” pan and place 4 corn tortillas on top.
- Layer ½ of turkey mixture on top of tortillas. Pour another ¼ can of enchilada sauce on turkey mixture and sprinkle with ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas and the rest of the turkey mixture. Pour the remaining ½ can of enchilada sauce on top of turkey mixture and finish by sprinkling remaining 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until cheese is bubbly.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
- Cook in muffin tins instead of 9x13 pan. Replace light sour cream with plain nonfat greek yogurt and reduce mexican cheese from 2 cups to 1 cup.
- Bariatric nutrition information (¾ cup serving, makes 8): Calories 257, Total Fat 9.5g, Sat Fat 3g, Sodium 497mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g, Fiber 5g, Protein 21.5g