Grilled Chicken and Berry Avocado Salad
Try this fresh and flavorful salad that everyone can enjoy at a summer barbeque or pool party!
Serves: 7 (Serving= 1 cup)
- 1 cup uncooked spelt, makes about 2 cups cooked (use buckwheat, sorghum, brown rice or quinoa for GF version)
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 2 ears raw corn, kernels cut off
- 1 ½ cups blackberries
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 chicken breast, grilled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar, or more to taste
1.In a medium saucepan, cook spelt according to package directions.
2.In a large bowl, combine spelt and rest of salad ingredients.
3.In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients.
4.Combine salad and vinaigrette and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
To make bariatric diet friendly:
Decrease serving size to ½ cup
Updated bariatric nutrition information: Calories 128, Total Fat 4.5g, Sat Fat 0.5g, Sodium 13mg, Total Carbohydrate 17g, Fiber 3.5g, Protein 7g