Roasted Beet Salad
Enjoy this rustic beet salad with a sweet and tangy vinaigrette. Roasting beets is simple. Wash the beets and trim off the beet greens. Individually wrap the beets in foil and bake for approximately an hour. Once they are roasted, keep them wrapped in the foil until they cool. Once cooled, the beet skin will easily slip off.
- 3 large or 6 medium beets
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 6 cups torn greens, one type or an assortment
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400. Wash the beets, and while they are still wet, wrap them individually in foil. Put them on a rimmed baking sheet and cook, undisturbed, until you can pierce them easily with a thin-bladed knife, 60 to 90 minutes. Let the beets cool wrapped in the foil. Once the beets have cooled, remove for foil and rub the skin off. Cut the beets into chunks.
- Put the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until fragrant and beginning to darken, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse and dry the greens and put them in a large bowl; add the walnuts.
- Combine the vinegar, juice, honey, oil, mustard and seasonings in a jar. Screw the lid on tightly and shake vigorously until the dressing becomes thick and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Pour some of the dressing onto the greens and toss to coat. Divide the greens on 4 plates. Put the beets in the bowl, toss with the rest of the dressing and arrange them on top of or around the greens. Crumble the goat cheese on top, and serve.