Mexican Rice and Beans
Get geared up for Cinco de Mayo with this simple side dish!
Serves: 8 (Serving= 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ¾ cup diced green pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 – 15 ounce can no salt added red kidney beans
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
- ½ Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, sauté peppers and onions in olive oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, tomatoes, garlic and spices. Turn heat down to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with light cheese and sour cream.